Okay I’ll just let the cat right out of the bag…these pancakes were supposed to be waffles. Never buy a waffle iron at a second hand store, there is a reason its there. After one very sticky pile of nothing I thought it would be best to turn them into pancakes which luckily was a massive success.
I’ve never been a huge fan of sweet breakfasts, so savoury pancakes are right up my alley. If you’re into cheese, you can throw some aged raw cheddar in these for an extra special treat. I like to smother them in butter with a bit of maple syrup.
- 1/2 C almond flour
- 1/4 C coconut flour
- 1/4 C tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 C almond milk (unsweetened) or coconut milk
- 1/4 C ghee or butter (melted)
- 2 Tbs bacon fat (melted)
- 6 pieces of crispy bacon, chopped
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 raw cheddar cheese (shredded) (optional)
- Combine all ingredients until smooth
- Heat a cast iron skillet and melt fat or oil of choice
- Drop 1/4 C of batter at a time and let cook until bubbles start to show around the edges, about 2 minutes per side.
- Makes about 12 pancakes