I meant to post this BEFORE I started the sugar detox from hell. I’m a fiend you guys. Even if it’s raw pies and honey I’m still jonesing for a fix. So I’ll live vicariously through you. This decadent cake is fully awesome. It’s loaded with all the best things- honey, vanilla bean, cacao, nuts, hemp seeds, young coconut meat, berries and of course, ba-nay-nays. Let me know the dirty details of each delightful bite if you make it. I’ll just be over here eating a carrot stick…
But in all seriousness, it feels good to make the conscious decision to get rid of some of the more junky aspects of my diet. All summer was just one big smorgasbord of enjoyment with family and friends. I’m grateful, truly, but that over indulgence catches up. So with a final slice of cake, I bid adieu for one month.
- 3/4 C date paste
- 1/2 C walnuts
- 1/2 C hemp seeds
- 1/4 C coconut oil, melted over a double boiler
- pinch sea salt
- 1 package frozen coconut meat (454g)
- 2 1/2 C soaked raw cashews (2-6 hrs), drained
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed (save the pod for other uses)
- 1/2 C cocoa butter, melted over double boiler
- 1/4 C coconut oil, melted over double boiler
- 1/2 C raw honey
- pinch sea salt
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 C cacao nibs
- Berry layer
- 1 C mixed frozen berries
- Chocolate layer
- 2 Tbs raw cacao powder
- In a high powered blender or food processor, add date paste, walnuts, hemp seeds, coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Pulse until evenly combined.
- Press crust into a 10 inch springform pan (or smaller for a taller cake) and pop it in the fridge or freezer while you make the filling.
- For the filling. Add coconut meat, soaked cashews, vanilla bean seeds, cocoa butter, coconut oil, honey and sea salt. Blend until super smooth and pour 1/3 of filling on top of the crust. Top with a few banana slices and a sprinkle of cacao nibs.
- Pop the cake back in the fridge or freezer for the first layer to set slightly.
- Pour 1/2 the remaining filling into a bowl and set aside.
- For the berry layer add 1 C frozen berries of your choosing to the filling and blend until smooth. Pour over top of the vanilla layer and top with more sliced bananas and cacao nibs.
- Pop it back in the fridge or freezer to set slightly.
- For the chocolate layer, add the remaining filling back into the blender with 2 Tbs cacao powder and blend until fully incorporated. Pour over the berry layer and top with the remaining sliced bananas and cacao nibs.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours and enjoy!
Banana Split Raw Ice Cream Cake, better than DQ any day.