Is it just me or does time go by exceptionally fast this time of year? Today is the solstice in the Northern Hemisphere, the shortest and darkest day of the year. From this point forward we move closer to spring and my desire to jump on the first flight out of this tundra will slowly diminish.
The drive to hibernate this time of year is strong. Lately I’ve been running myself down (maybe subconsciously?) and I’ve caught a nasty cold. Heaps of my Immunitea, sleep and medicinal mushrooms are the best cures but there’s a certain part of me that doesn’t mind being sick. I mean I hate it, but it’s also an excuse to watch planet earth and monkey kingdom on netflix all day long, and to let others do the cooking for once, and snuggle on the couch with my little guy who has the same bug. It’s just sometimes it takes getting ill to do these things without feeling slightly guilty or lazy about it. Terrible, I know, I should be able to do what I want anytime without guilt; we all should. What a crazy society we live in to think that getting ill is often the only way we can slow down.
I’ve been on a chia kick lately and it’s official, layered parfaits and chia puddings are a match made in heaven. Texturally beyond the capacity of a simply chia pudding, parfaits give you the best of all worlds in one bite. These Coconut Chia Banana Pomegranate Parfaits are loaded with layers of thin sliced banana, cacao nibs and pomegranate for a perfect combo of crunch, pop, gush, ahhhh.
- 1 package young coconut meat (optionally you could use an extra can of coconut milk+1/2 C shredded coconut)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- 1/3 C cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla stevia
- 1/2 C chia seeds
- Add coconut and coconut milk to a blender and blend until super smooth, empty into a large bowl.
- Combine coconut mixture with chia seeds and stevia. Set aside to thicken for 30 minutes.
- Pour a little of the chia pudding into ramekins or small jam sized mason jars, layer bananas, a sprinkling of cacao nibs and pomegranate and repeat. Enjoy!