Woohoohoooo day 3 and the sugar bugs are itching, it was slightly arduous working our way through the grocery store with all the goodies in sight. Blessing we had this big salad goodie to nosh on beforehand, sitting under a giant maple tree, protected from the rain. Going to town is always a treat fest, since we live about 1 1/2 there and back it’s a good excuse to get some snacks for the drive. But today, with minimal effort this fine salad did the trick to replace jalapeño kettle chips and san pellegrinos.
Making salad dressings, is kinda my thing. I hate all the junky rancid oil they put in store bought, even the so called organic ones. But a tasty dressing makes for a tasty salad, which makes you want to eat salad all the time. This whole30 salad dressing uses dates instead of honey, but it still has that honey mustard feel. I like using a good portion of hemp oil but if thats not available to you just using good olive oil is great too.
- salad greens- I used a head of lettuce and some mustard greens
- handful of chopped up radishes
- handful of chopped up peppers
- handful of chopped up cucumber
- handful of kalamata olives
- some nuts- I used walnuts
- handful of dried cranberries
- a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seed oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs smooth dijon mustard (maison d'orphe brand for whole30)
- 2 Tbs date paste or 3 dates pureed
- 1 Tbs tahini paste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- handful of cashews
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Toss together all the vegetables, walnuts,cranberries, and seeds. Set aside.
- In a blender, food processor or by hand, blend all ingredients to make your dressing, oils, vinegar,mustard,dates,tahini,cayenne, cashews, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. Makes a good sized batch for at least 4 big salads.