Holy case of the Mondays today. On top of the ‘kill all things’ stage of the whole 30, my little teething monster has been draining 60 calories of comfort a minute from me. I don’t understand how women with children under 3 get absolutely anything done. Murphy’s law is in full swing because as soon as I wrote that he is off on his own smashing remote controls. Do I care? Nope.
How do you cope with ineffective days? I feel like our society superimposes really high standards of productivity. But some days it feels pretty difficult to cross anything off the to-do list. I have to gently remind myself that raising a child is always on the top of that list, and that I must always work on that first.
About this salad, it’s beyond refreshing and packed with craving busting minerals. Often we get those mad cravings for sweets and quick fix foods because of mineral deficiencies. But you know what sucks? Boring salads. Boring vegetables. They give vegetables a bad rep. It’s my mission to never ever make a boring salad. Cruciferous vegetables are particularly detoxifying because they’re so high in I3C or indole-3-carbinols, which help to break down bad estrogen in the body and regulate hormones. Aside from that the fiber and vitamin C in this salad are cleansing and help me feel more vibrant and just plain happy during the first few days of the whole 30. I find that I always have a craving for crunchy foods and this Fennel Grapefruit Detox Salad more than satisfies. Save some of the fronds for garnish or adding to soups and what not, they really impart that lovely anise flavour.
- 1 bulb fennel, remove stalks and finely slice
- 1 grapefruit, zest and remove skin and pith, slice and set aside zest.
- 4 kale leaves, stalks removed, chopped
- 1 C red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 C red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 C pistachios
- 1/3 C olive oil
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs tahini paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 C finely chopped chives
- Zest the grapefruit and set aside. Remove skin and pith and slice. Add all vegetable to a large salad bowl and top with grapefruit pieces.
- Combine grapefruit zest with olive oil, vinegar, tahini, salt, pepper and chives until smooth and creamy.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette and top with pistachios.