Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about Immune health. All this talk of the next pandemic gives me the heeby jeebies and I hate to think of the suffering occurring in West Africa right now. It’s hard not to think of the possibility of Ebola spreading, and what our action plan will be. For now, my focus is keeping a super strong immune system with the help of herbs, probiotics, and an all around healthy lifestyle. The most important aspect of health is to not let fear pervade. The fear paradigm that rules this planet is serving no one. Switch it around, watch those thoughts of fear and disregard them, we weren’t put on this planet to live in perpetual worry. Not to say we shouldn’t prepare for certain possibilities, that’s where taking your health into your own hands comes into play. Having full responsibility for your temple is empowering, only you can heal and strengthen yourself.
“The process of self-healing is the privilege of every being. Self-healing is not a miracle, nor is self-healing a dramatization of the personality as though you could do something superior. Self-healing is a genuine process of the relationship between the physical and the infinite power of the soul.” -Yogi Bhajan
There are so many amazingly powerful natural substances which can initiate deep healing from within. Turmeric is one of the most researched healing plants out there. With over 7000 scientific studies backing up turmerics medicinal qualities, this is a medicine you want to have on hand. Comparable to 14 common prescription drugs in it’s effectiveness in treating everything from depression, high blood pressure, diabetes and general inflammation just to name a few. Lucky for us organic Turmeric is super affordable, doesn’t really taste like anything and there are a multitude of ways to incorporate it into your daily routine.
5 Ways to Use Turmeric Everyday
1. Cook with it- Turmeric is a traditional ingredient used in Indian curries and rice dishes, but you don’t have to limit it’s uses to just Indian food. Try adding Turmeric to bone broth, soups, teas, and eggs.
2. Mix it in with honey for adding to teas or hot lemon water.
3. Add some Turmeric to your favourite salad dressings.
4.As an addition to smoothies, don’t worry it doesn’t taste like much.
5. Make Golden Turmeric Tea and enjoy a cup before bed for a restful sleep.
Not only is Turmeric a great overall tonic for the Immune System, it’s active component curcumin has also been shown to protect against radiation induced damage, protect against heavy metal toxicity, prevent and reduce Alzheimer’s disease, destroying drug-resistant cancer These are all peer reviewed scientific studies with irrefutable evidence supporting the previous statements, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. When we’re educated about the incredible medicinal properties of natural substances there’s no reason to fear. Taking control of your health is all about adding in good stuff. So sprinkle some of this yellow magic on your food and feel good, you deserve it.
Golden Turmeric Milk is a traditional elixir from the ancient system of Ayurveda. Yogis and Ayurvedic practitioners throughout the ages have recommended this drink to their patients for increased immunity and to help inflammation. There are many variations of Golden Milk, many use almond oil, I like using coconut oil instead and adding some additional warming spices, for flavour and the added health benefits.
- 1 L almond milk OR coconut milk mixed with half water
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs raw honey OR a pinch of stevia
- 3 whole black peppercorns (optional)
- 3 cardamom pods (optional)
- Add all the ingredients except the honey to a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain out the peppercorns and cardamom and add mixture to a blender to emulsify the coconut oil and get a nice froth.
- Stir in desired amount of honey and enjoy!
I’d love to know what you think, what’s your favourite way of boosting your immune system?