Grown up scrambled eggs, Italiano style. Inspired by piles of fresh basil and oregano, a hunk of great chorizo and fresh cheese curds. The seasons first broccoli are out, Italian ribbed zucchini and sweet little baby onions. All of these delights, sautéed in butter, lightly seasoned with black pepper, just allowing the raw flavours of everything to shine. A nice local cheese curd mixed in with slow cooked eggs alongside a pile of summers bounty. Yes please, this perfect breakfast awaits, and it’s way better than an omelette.
Today was one of those days where you don’t have breakfast until 1 PM. By the time you get to eat you’re overwhelmed with hunger and the thought of actually choosing what to make is daunting. So you make everything, thrown together much slower than you’d like, but in the end something delicious is created. It was also one of those days where its 30 degrees before 11AM and you realize you left the farm vegetables in the trunk all night. Oops, rescued just in time, my precious.
Someday I will share a post on how to make your own fantastic chorizo, someday friends…
Until then I will share with you a tale, of a potluck in the woods, where everybody brings a salad. The old wise bloke says to us, nothing better you can do than to gather together. If you can’t gather with your friends, gather with your lover and family, and when you can’t do that, gather with yourself, speak gently and kindly as you would a stranger at a potluck. Give yourself a high five for making it this far. You’re doing your best, that’s all that matters, now lets have some breakfast together.
- 4 eggs (or more depending on how many people your serving), beaten
- handful of fresh cheese curds, ricotta, goat cheese or feta (optional)
- 1Tbs + 1Tbs butter
- handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- handful fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 a zuchinni, sliced
- 1 broccoli crown, broken into florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 thin slices of chorizo
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- good salt to taste
- Melt butter in a hot skillet or frying pan, add eggs, stir, cover on low.
- In another pan, melt additional butter and lay dow the zucchini pieces, add the broccoli,chorizo and onions on top. Keep the heat high enough to crisp the underside of the zucchini.
- Toss and add herbs and fresh cracked pepper.
- Stir the eggs and add in the cheese,pepper and salt cover until eggs are done and cheese is melted. Garnish with more fresh basil and green onion.