Smoothies make me happy, and this one is specifically designed to ward off depression and anxiety, nourish you with mood lifting minerals and make your spirit soar with ethereal delights. To really boost your mood, try this, positive affirmations can have a huge impact on how we feel, this is one of Louise Hays suggestions for depression, I am enough just as I am. It may seem silly but say it with meaning a few times a day and you may be surprised at the peaceful feeling that grows within.
Fall has arrived, I don’t know about you guys but shorter days for me, bring on a bit of the blues. There are so many foods that can help fight depression, an illness that ails more than 121 million people worldwide. I’ve noticed huge differences in my mood when I make sure I’m taking good care of myself. Adequate omega-3, magnesium,vitamin D and probiotics are among the most important tools in your armament for fighting off the blues. Self-love and equipping ourselves with the knowledge of how to feel better on a holistic scale can drastically improve depression and anxiety (and a lot of other diseases). Smoothies are a really enjoyable way of getting those nutrients into your life and feeling happier every day.
- 2 handfuls of raw cashews are the therapeutic equivalent to a dose of prozac.
- Coconut helps fight off candida and parasites which can inhibit good bacteria and cause brain fog.
- Organic plain yogurt is packed with probiotics for healthy gut flora which is necessary for serotonin (the happy hormone which is formed in the gut) to pass the blood brain barrier and work its magic upstairs.
- Berries are filled with antioxidants and help reduce inflammation and improve digestion.
- Bananas are high in the amino acid tryptophan which coverts into serotonin.
- Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, a factor commonly overlooked when treating depression.
- Bee pollen contains key neuro-nutrients such as GABA, tryptophan and norepinephrine which help to correct brain chemistry.
- Elderflowers magical essence adds sweetness and imbibes powerful renewal of energy.
Honestly, it’s like nothing I’ve done lately works, and it was really bumming me out all weekend. I tried to make 3 different things for the blog and nothing was good enough (I only want to give you the best of the very best!) Frustrated and anxious to DO more and BE better I had to really step aside and pop my own bubble. Hello, this isn’t about perfection, it’s about sharing and growing and learning. I’m not perfect, I burn the roast chicken, I make butt ugly but darn delicious beetroot tarts with cauliflower crust, I dust coconut flour all over the camera and piss off J but whatever. Everybody is going through it, every person is looking at the state of the planet and looking at their children and thinking- wow, how can we change this for their sake? Well I guess my answer to that,from my humble perspective, is we need to love ourselves more, with all our hearts wide open the world can change. Every day is a new day and a chance to improve, whether it be physically, spiritually or mentally, all those realms play a huge part in our happiness. I am enough just as I am.
- 2 handfuls raw cashews- soaked for 6-8 hours and drained
- ¾ C fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1 banana
- ½ C plain organic yogurt
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ C coconut flakes
- 2 Tbs elderflower syrup or honey
- 1 C water
- 1 tsp bee pollen, for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp chia seeds, for sprinkling on top
- In a blender add cashews, berries,banana,yogurt,coconut oil, coconut flakes and elderflower syrup or honey. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, you can adjust the consistency by adding more or less water, start with ½ cup and work your way up from there.
- Sprinkle chia seeds and bee pollen on top with a drizzle of honey or elderflower syrup
I would love to hear your ways of fighting off the blues, drop me a line in the comments, by e-mail or on any of my social networks.
Want more awesome recipes, be sure to sign up in the sidebar for my weekly newsletter!