Curry leaves are so underrated. Those little leaves have so much flavour, and to me they just take like authentic Indian cuisine. I buy a whole bunch and then freeze most for later use. Quinoa is like a sponge and when cooked in a coconut milk curry leaf and mustard seed laden sauce like this one it’s just packed with flavour. This is a lovely side dish or addition to a salad, I topped it with a few sesame salmon balls and it was total perfection.
Indian Style Quinoa and Peas is one of those really simple dishes that you can count on to amplify any meal, especially Indian influenced curries or tandoori meats. In food and in life the best things are the simple things. This morning my love gave me a sweet hug when I was making my coffee and all groggy and disheveled. It woke me right up and took me from morning ogre to morning mermaid.
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 25-30 curry leaves
- 1-2 thai red chilis or 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 C frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 C Quinoa + 3 C water
- 1 can coconut milk
- handful fresh cilantro
- In a medium sized pot heat the coconut oil, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and when the seeds start to pop add the chili, garlic, ginger and onion and cook until everything starts to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients quinoa, water, coconut milk, peas and salt and cook on high until it starts boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot or cold and enjoy!