I can’t believe I’ve never posted this recipe as it’s a steadfast staple in our house. Some would refer to this breakfast pizza as a frittata, but I think breakfast pizza just sounds better and feels more fun. I usually make these on days where something a little more special is in order, it’s perfect when you have friends over for brunch.
The ingredients are highly variable, I usually just throw in whatever is on hand, some sort of meat is always nice but these breakfast pizzas are lovely with just pure veg. A sprinkle of your favourite cheese on top and a pop under the broiler et voila. Skip the cheese if you’re not into it, it’s hardly needed with a flavourful dish as this.
I must say this mornings breakfast pizza fuelled me for a die of to do list accomplishments and motivation to, erm, clean the bathroom. Everyones most hated chore, I’m sure… Nothing like a great breakfast to set the pace for your entire day. Pretty sure the littles would adore eating anything related to pizza for breakfast, right? Give it a go and lemme know!
- 1 Tbs bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, grated
- ½ red or white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 C cooked chicken, chopped
- 6 eggs, combined
- 1 C grated aged cheddar or other cheese (optional)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (for garnish)
- raw slices of red onion (for garnish)
- slices of lime
- Heat a medium sized skillet, melt the oil or fat and add onion and jalapeño, when the onion is starting to brown, add grated sweet potato and cover for 5 minutes on med-low.
- Stir the sweet potato and add in smoked paprika and salt. Cover again and turn heat a little higher to get a crispy golden crust.
- Sprinkle chicken over the cooked sweet potato and pour the egg mixture over top, tilting the pan around so the egg layer is even.
- Cover and let the egg cook for about 3 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler in your oven, top with grated cheese and place under the broiler for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and the eggs are fully cooked.
- Serve with fresh green and red onion and a piece of lime to squeeze over top (it's really good!)