Yes I just made that word up, Manguac, it’s great right, hilarious, it’ll be the next hummus I swear you’ll love it that much. Because what grows together, goes together, not that mangoes or avocados grow in my backyard,though maybe someday. So here goes, you’ve had mango salsa, now welcome mango guacamole, a new hero sidekick to top your grilled summer goodies. Manguac is splendid with grilled fish, BBQ chicken, pork chops, on a burger or veggie burger. I also just eat it with some fresh local greens as a salad, pack it to the beach and you are set!
An amazingly seasonal addition to this dish would be fresh local corn, honestly the corn right now is bonkers. Every summer I get that max. 1 month of the freshest, tastiest corn on the cob, I add it to everything. The best way in my opinion is grilled corn covered in butter or ghee. Yum. But grilled and added to this manguac is divine and makes it all the more delicious.
If you haven’t seen this video on how to easily peel a mango, check it out, the method of scraping the mango against a glass actually makes perfect sense.
- 2 ripe avocados, either mashed or cut into small chunks
- 1 ripe mango (I used ataulfo variety) cut into small cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely minced
- 1 thai red chili, deseeded, finely minced (if you like the extra extra kick)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbs avocado or olive oil
- a few good pinches of sea salt, to taste
- fresh greens to serve with (optional)
- 2 cobs of grilled corn, use a knife to slice the kernels off (optional)
- Mix up all the ingredients in a big bowl, add salt to taste, you can let the manguac sit in the fridge overnight but its best to make it fresh.