Do you love tortillas? I do. You know why I love them? Because they are a first class vehicle for all good things. Now don’t get me wrong, these tortillas are more akin to a crepe, nice and light yet strong enough to hold your favourite fillings.
There are just all sorts of things you could do with these, for one you could try my spicy beef paleo taquitos YUM. Or you could fill them with sweet things like nut butter and bananas. Savory morning breakfast wraps with bacon and eggs and veggies oh my. Chicken caesar wraps for lunch. I could go on…but I will stop, and give you this recipe and thank Danielle Walker at Against All Grain for her inspiration though I did change a few things.
ps. They are ready to flip when you see the bubbles…now try and say bubbles in an angry voice.
- 4 egg whites
- 3 whole egg
- 1/2 C coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 Tbs tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp grain free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs ghee or coconut oil for frying
- Melt enough coconut oil or ghee to coat your frying pan. You will need to do this in between every tortilla so don't use too much.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Whisk eggs and milk together. Add to dry ingredients.
- The frying pan should be hot enough that when you drop the mixture in it bubbles, but not so hot that it sticks. This can be a bit of trial and error but you'll get the hang of it. I usually keep my heat between 4-5 medium.
- Drop 1/4 cup at a time in the centre of your hot pan. Tilt the pan in a circular motion until no more liquid batter remains viscous.
- Flip the tortilla when the little bubbles appear. Only about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Continue, adding a little coconut oil or ghee between each tortilla.