I’m stoked, finally after many attempts I have made successful crackers! These little crunch bombs are bloody addictive and reminiscent of the long forgotten vegetable thin- only way better. These are totally adaptable you guys, so if your not into toasted cumin you prefer rosemary or sesame or onion, you could definitely subtract the cumin and add those in, respectively. I adore the brilliant yellow turmeric imparts, not too mention the various health benefits. Toasted cumin gives these bright yellow crackers an Indian flare and reminds me of my beloved pappadam. Paleo and vegan cheese and crackers shazzam everyone is pleased!
The green goddess cashew cream cheese is the perfect accompaniment to these crackers and it’s a cinch to whip up. Did you know raw cashews are great for alleviating depression and anxiety? Cashew cheese makes me happy! This green goddess version is spiked with green onion and cilantro, and of course garlic, it didn’t last very long in our house. The cashew cheese is also really nice smothered on sourdough toast or as a sandwich base.
Being the spaz that I am, I often forget key kitchen tools like, all the time, case in point, parchment paper. This is why my other cracker attempts flopped into a sea of crumbs. You need parchment to roll the crackers out, the dough is just way too sticky to not have a protective parchment barrier below and above. Aside from that, anyone can whip up the toasted cumin and turmeric crackers. The good news, like most health freaks, I do not own a dehydrator (not that I don’t want one) SO these crackers won’t take 800 hours, they bake up just perfect in under 15 minutes, presto.
- 1 C almond meal
- 3 Tbs tapioca flour
- 2 Tbs ground flax in 6 Tbs water for 30 minutes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbs toasted cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- For cashew cheese 1 C RAW cashews, soaked for minimum 2 hours, drained
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- handful chopped green onion
- handful chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 350F
- For the crackers, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, almond meal, tapioca flour, salt and turmeric.
- When the flax is egg like and viscous in texture (about 30 mins of soaking) combine it with olive oil and toasted cumin.
- Mix into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Separate into two equal parts.
- Roll out one section of dough between 2 pieces of parchment until its about ⅛ inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to gently trace squares or diamond shaped crackers. Transfer bottom parchment to a baking sheet and repeat this process with the other half of dough.
- Bake @350F for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let crackers cool before serving.
- For the cashew cheese, combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth