Potent little packages of pure goodness. My heart sped up when I saw two huge bunches of the most perfect italian parsley in our CSA box this week. What a treat, and on top of that, gorgeous fresh mint bundles and long spindly green onions. Wild oregano has replaced grass in our yard, its one of the few things the chickens don’t nosh on. So what does one do when the herbs are all a plenty? Mix copious amounts with buttery rice, summer vegetables, fresh mango and hearty meatballs. Yes, yum.
I didn’t think I was hungry enough to devour a huge bowl of this herbed goodness, but I was wrong. Even with chop sticks it all disappeared pretty fast.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp coconut oil or other cooking fat
- 3 garlic scapes, chopped or 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 egg whites, or 1 egg
- 1 Tbs fresh chopped oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- pinch of salt
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- With 2 tbs of mix form little balls.
- Heat a large skiller and melt your coconut oil, or other cooking fat
- Add meatballs one at a time, cook on medium heat,about 3 minutes per side until nicely browned.
- 1 cup rice (I used brown rice, but you can use whichever type you prefer)
- 1 Tbs butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbs hot chili sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup combination of whichever fresh herbs you have kicking around, I used quite a bit of mint, parsley, and smaller amounts of sage and oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3-4 chopped garlic scapes, or 1-2 cloves, minced garlic
- 4 radishes sliced
- 6 asparagus spears
- 4 rainbow swiss chard leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 a mango, sliced
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- Cook the rice, as per instructions.
- Mix the cooked rice with butter, salt, chili sauce and pepper.
- Add the herbs,green onion, garlic and swiss chard.
- Top with radish, asparagus, mango and avocado