So…it’s almost the official day where we celebrate all things love with all things high fructose corn syrup.
I gotta say I’m a bit of a cynic when it comes to V-day, I mean really roses and chocolates on one day of the year?! Hallmark and cheap candy and so much PINK, bleh.
But at the same time I can’t help but use any excuse to make treats, and I do have fond memories of scooby doo and smurf valentine cards from 12 year old boys making my heart go pitter patter way back when. My momma would always give us sweet little cards too, which was really sweet. I think I’ll carry on that valentines tradition and just skip the cinnamon hearts and those weird chalk memo hearts, sorry but…those are nasty.
Any excuse to make a sexy meal is great news too, I love how people get all into the juicy steaks and fancy lobster dinners. But again, these should really be a common occurrence, in a perfect world. I love this roundup of super lovey dovey meals to please your man that the lovely Elizabeth at three beans on a string compiled, check ’em out here.
If you want a special little treat without any weird corn syrup solids and all that junk, give these raw creamy chocolate tarts with caramel hazelnut crust, god that’s a mouthful, but they are so freaking good I didn’t want to skip any points in the description. My winter sweet tooth is the worst, the lack of fresh salads over time translates into a deep craving for all things chocolate. These are worth it, and one little tart is plenty to satisfy, if you have the will power to have just one. These are no bake, but not completely raw unless you opt to use raw hazelnuts, in which case, soak for 6 hours before hand. I used roasted hazelnuts, but I still say they’re raw tarts, as you don’t have to bake them (please forgive me rawtarians).
- ¾ C date paste or mejool dates,pitted
- 1 C roasted or raw hazelnuts, if raw soak for 6 hrs. prior to using
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 C raw cashews, soaked for 6hrs.
- 1 Tbs+2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs coconut butter
- 2 Tbs raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 raw chocolate bar or ½ C chocolate chips, melted over a double boiler.
- In a blender or food processor add hazelnuts, dates,one Tbs coconut oil and salt, pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and scoop about 1 Tbs mixture into each, press crust down evenly.
- Rinse out your blender or food processor and add drained cashews, 2 Tbs coconut oil, coconut butter, honey and water. Blend on high until super smooth.
- Top each tart with a dollop (tsp) melted chocolate
- Allow tarts to set for 2hrs. before indulging, if you can wait that long!
How do you feel about valentines day? I hope you all get smothered with love, hugs and kisses, but I hope that for you everyday!