Yesterday our friends gave us a tour of their huge, epic garden. I couldn’t believe the rows of radishes, compared to my little teensy garden space. Then they brought us over to a little nook where wild asparagus was growing. Asparagus is a regal and mighty plant which grows furiously amidst a mash of strong willed weeds. If I had a vegetable puppet show, asparagus would play the intellectual, savvy friend that everybody needs to have.
There was a time when I thought it was near sacrilege to cook radishes. Aken to frying up a cucumber, but not anymore, no siree. Roasted radishes are beautiful! They retain their luscious crunch, so long as you don’t cook them too long. Luckily asparagus is verily on the same road to doneness as it’s brethren. And so the two make a fine, crunchy, springy pair, especially when doused with good olive oil and fresh sage. The chives I found when I was ripping through the bush to score some lupines for my table. It was as if I manifested them, because just the other day I was saying that I wished I had chives growing. Darling little snippets to adorn every dish. They were there all along, hidden in the long couch grass, amongst the lupines, glorious and free.
So sweet, aren’t they? Ok, so you want a wicked beautiful spring side dish. I’ve got ya hooked up,roasted radishes and asparagus, so simple, so good. Don’t forget to throw a few fried or poached eggy’s on top, because egg yolk and asparagus are the best of friends.
- Half a bunch of asparagus
- 15 radishes, larger ones cut in half
- 8 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- fresh cracked pepper
- handful of chives, chopped
- 1 egg per person, fried or poached
- Heat oven to 400F
- Super simple, just throw in a roasting pan your asparagus and radishes, drizzle olive oil and lemon or apple cider vinegar, add the sage and toss it all together.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper then pop in the oven for 12 minutes.
- When it's all done, add a generous amount of chives and your perfect egg accompaniment.