Happy daze, the rain is pouring and we have every excuse to be nestled in to our sweet little home. My life isn’t terribly exciting through the eyes of others. Of course for me and J it is, watching our little tot stretch his limbs and laugh at our funny faces. Something I do think others might be a touch excited about (tell me if I’m out to lunch) is that we’ve started doing elimination communication with Mavi. What’s that you may ask? EC or diaper free is just the norm for most people on this planet, but to westerners it is a foreign idea. We pick up on our babies cues to go potty and we give them an opportunity to do their business (should I be talking about this on a food blog?..I’m going to anyway) Their are a variety of cues that babies give their caretakers to let them know it’s potty time, raise the roof! Now we are feeling confident enough to put what we’ve learned through books and others experiences, into practice. You do not know how excited it made me to “catch” Mavi’s first poo!
You know what? This does have to do with a blog on the primal ancestral lifestyle, indeed. Here we are, modern humans going in the very opposite direction of even our great grandmothers. Pretty sure they didn’t have washing machines or access to garbage disposal systems like we do. They must’ve had to catch on to the cues from a little one, in order to wash as few poopy diapers by hand as possible. Well it’s an experiment, can’t hurt to try, even though it’s a little intimidating when people roll their eyes at you holding your baby in a squat and making a pssss sound. It sure makes me happy to connect on such an intuitive level with mr. sunshine.
Another thing you might find exciting are these spicy beef paleo taquitos & chipotle lime cashew cheese. They are really good, a lot better than the fare at our local Mexican eatery, though I won’t name names. The ‘tortillas’ of course are rather different from any typical corn or wheat tortilla. They are much more soft and delicate, yet firm enough to hold fillings and be doused in cheesy goodness. My feeling is you will like them. J has been particularly picky lately and he gobbled up 4! Serve these lovely thangs with cilantro and avocado oh and if your feeling adventurous, why not go outside and pick thee some dandelion greens. They go gorgeously with the creamy chipotle cashew sauce. Oh yes… do not fear the dandelion.
Hope my EC story didn’t turn anyone off, honestly, baby poo is basically yogurt with a little turmeric mixed in, no biggie.
Here, is the link to my Paleo Tortilla recipe
- 8 tortillas (link to recipe above)
- 1 clove of garlic,minced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced, take the seeds out if you don't like spicy food
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chill powder
- 1 Tbs ghee or coconut oil
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Melt ghee or coconut oil in a frying pan. Add garlic, onion, jalapeño & poblano peppers and sautee until aromatic and onions are translucent.
- Add beef and spices, stir and cover on medium until meat is fully cooked. About 10 minutes.
- Let the filling cool down a wee bit.
- Once the filing isn't so hot, spoon a bit onto each tortilla in a uniform line along the middle section, and roll up. Assemble your taquitos in a casserole dish or on a pan and bake for 7 minutes at 350F.
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 1-8 hours
- ½ cup water
- juice from ½ a lime, about 1 Tbs
- 2 whole chipotles (less if you don't want it so spicy)
- ½ tsp salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or high powered blender until smooth and dreamy