It’s spring, the bees are out, the sun is shining and it’s time for a celebration!
What better way to celebrate the suns return than with bright yellow nutrient dense raw chocolate, heck yes.
These little gems are a cinch to make and packed with the ample benefits of bee pollen, a truly amazing superfood. Some nutritionists say we could live on bee pollen alone as it’s such a perfect food. Bees are amazing insects, their specialized hairs attract pollen easily with a sort of static electricity. To make one pound of honey bees must visit around 2 million flowers!
In the spring I usually get seasonal allergies which bee pollen, local honey, and wildcrafted nettles effectively eliminate. Bee pollen is one of the easiest foods to digest and assimilate. Not too mention its got a subtle chewiness that adds a lovely texture to these superfood sunshine chocolates. Raw cacao is loaded with amazing benefits as well as talk about more in detail in this post. It’s certainly no secret how much we relish in our raw chocolate around here!
- ¾ C raw cacao butter
- 3 Tbs cacao powder
- 3 Tbs coconut butter
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs raw honey or maple syrup
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbs bee pollen
- pinch of sea salt
- Melt the cacao butter in a boil over a double boiler until liquid, add cacao powder and 1 Tbs of honey or maple syrup and stir until smooth.
- Pour this chocolate mixture into your choice of moulds, I used a mini muffin tin. Pop in the freezer to set while you make the sunshine layer.
- Warm up your coconut butter and coconut oil on the double boiler until smooth and creamy, mix in turmeric, bee pollen and sea salt.
- Remove chocolate from freezer and top each with a dollop of sunshine mixture until evenly distributed. Pop back in the freezer for a few minutes to set. When the chocolates are set you should be able to easily pop them out of the mould.
- This recipe makes about 12 sunshine chocolate!